Canada has consistently maintained its prestige as an attractive education hub due to a variety of factors including its global recognition and reputation, affordability, cultural exposure and abundant research opportunities. With affordable tuition fees, quality institutions, post-study work and immigration options, and welcoming people, it is no surprise that Canada is fast becoming a leading destination for international students.

Canada hosts more than 250,000 international students and has experienced a huge increase in demand from overseas students in recent years. Furthermore, a total of 13 Universities from Canada are recognized in the world's top 200 by QS including 3 that appear in the Top 50.

Canada is known for its natural beauty, clean cities, first-rate healthcare, and public transport systems. Canada is generally safe, politically stable and orderly. Although known for a diversity of seasons and temperatures, and even some snow, some parts of Canada, specifically in British Columbia have very mild winters.



    Population: 35.16 million (2013)


    Largest city:  Toronto, Ontario

    Area: 9.985

    Major language: English & French

    Major religion:

    Life expectancy: 80 years (men), 84 years (women)

    Monetary unit: 1 Canada dollar = 100 cents

    Main exports: Canada's largest export category is crude oil, valued at $87.1 billion/year, and includes all bituminous mineral and petroleum oils.

    GNI per capita: us $51,630

    Internet domain: .ca

    International dialing code: +1

    Other Cities: Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary, Quebec City, Winnipeg, Niagara Falls

    Climate: The major Canadian city that falls outside the continental climate schema is Vancouver, which experiences an oceanic climate with a marked summer dry season. Of the eight largest Canadian cities, Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto have the warmest summers, Winnipeg the coldest winters, while Vancouver's winters are far milder than any other large city in Canada.



    Canada makes a large investment in its education system. In fact, Canada is one of the world’s top education performers and among the top three countries in spending per capita on public post- secondary education, according to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).

    The tertiary education system in Canada is divided into:

    • Certificate level, generally for a year
    • Diploma level, for one or two years
    • Advanced Diploma, generally two or three-year programs
    • Bachelor degrees, awarded after four years of full-time study
    • Post-graduate Diplomas/Certificates, for one or two years of study
    • Master’s degrees, available after a bachelor degree to excel in a certain subject, for one to two years
    • Doctorate or PhD, generally four to seven years




    • Algonquin College
    • Cambrian College of Applied Arts & Technology
    • Centennial College of Applied Arts & Technology
    • Conestoga College
    • Confederation College of Applied Arts & Technology
    • Cambrian College
    • Durham College
    • Fanshawe College of Applied Arts & Technology
    • Fanshawe College
    • Georgian College of Arts & Technology
    • Georgian College
    • Lambton College of Applied Arts & Technology
    • Loyalist College of Applied Arts & Technology
    • Lambton College of Applied Sciences
    • Mohwak College
    • Niagara College
    • Northern College
    • St. Lawrence College
    • George Brown College Toronto
    • Sheridan College, Toronto
    • Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology learning, Toronto
    • Seneca College, Toronto
    • Humber College, Toronto
    • Centennial College, Toronto


    • Camosun College
    • College of New Caledonia
    • College of the Rockies
    • Columbia College
    • Douglas College
    • FIC (Fraser International College)
    • Kwantlen Polytechnic University
    • North Island College
    • Northern Lights
    • Okanagan College
    • Selkirk College
    • Thompson River University
    • University of The Fraser Valley
    • Vancouver Island University
    • Vancouver Community College


    • Bow Valley College
    • Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
    • NAIT College
    • SAIT College


    • ICM (International College of Manitoba)
    • Red River Manitoba
    • Red River College of Applied Arts, Science & Technology


    • Medicine Hat College
    • Grant Mac Ewan University




    Main intake every year commences in September and ends in May. Some universities that run on the semester system conducts courses even in the Summer, and have intake in January (winter)June to August is the period of vacation.

    Eligibility Criteria

    • Admission requirements vary from one university to another. However, as a general rule,Canadian institutions prefer applicants with very good academic background and decent scores in TOEFL or IELTS for admission but for visa compulsory IELTS. A four-year Bachelor’s degree is required for admission into M.S/MBA programs, with a minimum of mid-B grades (around 70%).
    • For those with a three-year degree, admission into PG diploma program is possible with aminimum score of around 240 in TOEFL.
    • PhD programs generally require five years to complete full-time. They usually require a combination of course work, original research and a thesis, which must be defended by oral


    •  Diploma/ Advanced Diploma- 6.0 bands in IELTS / 80 in TOEFL
    • Graduate Certificate- 6.5 bands in IELTS/ 90 in TOEFL
    • The coaching for the IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE can be availed from AAI also.

    Documents Required

    • Resume
    • Statement of purpose
    • Educational Documents
    • Work Experience, if Applicable
    • Passport
    • birth certificate
    • IELTS score sheet
    • Two academic references
    • Two references from employers (where applicable)
    • Passport sized photographs
    • Draft for application fees, if applicable
    • Portfolio (for Art, Design & Architecture Courses)
    • Other Certificates & Achievements of Extracurricular Activities



    Knowing about education costs in Canada is important, if you are considering Canada as your study abroad destination. Cost of higher education in Canada is quite affordable as compared to the cost of studying in the UK, Australia, New Zealand and the US. Let's find out.

    Tuition Fee (CAD$):

    • Undergraduate Bachelor Degree - $15,000
    • Postgraduate Master’s Degree - $10,000 to $16,000

    Accommodation (CAD$):

    • Residency/Dormitory - C$350-$515 per month
    • Off campus Rental housing - C$350-$700per month (shared apartment) - C$500-$1200 per month (single apartment)
    • Home stay - C$550-$800 per month

    Minimum Cost of Living (CAD$):

    • Average Total – $30,000 per annum




    Canada is an international leader in Java, computers, networking, and wireless communications. Insulin and flat-screen technology are some of the leading inventions originated in Canada. It has a reputation of excellence in sectors such as telecommunications, transportation, engineering, microelectronics, hydroelectric power, biotechnology, food & beverage processing, geometrics, ocean & environmental industries, aerospace etc. Some top Canadian companies recognized worldwide are Black Berry, IMAX, BATA, Corel etc. The Gourmand Report is ranked 18 out of North America's top 40 Electrical Engineering Faculties in Canada. The Global Competitiveness Report 2000 ranked Canada 1st in Knowledge workers.


    Full-time students registered in a degree or diploma-granting course are allowed to work on the campus of the institution at which they are registered without the need for an employment authorization.

    This includes on-campus employment for graduate, teaching or research assistants. Spouses of full-time students are eligible for open or open/restricted employment authorization, depending on medical requirements having been met.

    Students whose intended employment forms an integral part of their course of study such as undergraduate co-op programs, some programs offered by career colleges or language schools and some high school programs.



    Once the student got visa and after completing two years course, they may be eligible up to 3 years’ open work permit. After completing 1 year of open work permit in that they can work full time and can apply for permanent residency for Canada through various immigration programs like

    • Canadian Experience Class category
    • Federal (38 occupation list)
    • Quebec
    • Alberta
    • Manitoba
    • Saskatchewan
    • British Columbia

  • FAQ


    Q. Why apply through AAI?

    . AAI is the authorized direct representative for colleges and universities in Canada. All services offered by AAI are free. It is India’s Leading Overseas Education Consultancy since 12 years.

    Q. What is the difference between a University and a College?

    Universities are educational institutions attended after at least 12 years of school, or after secondary school, for studies leading to a degree and research. All Canadian Universities four year bachelor’s degree programs; most offer one to two years master's degree and a number also offer doctoral or PhD programs. Bachelor’s Degrees can be granted by Universities, some colleges and some Institutes in Canada. Community colleges are two-year institutions that offer technical or vocational courses or courses for transfer to a university, leading to a certificate or diploma. These colleges do not generally offer degree programs.

    Q. Can I study and work part-time to help finance myself in Canada?

    Yes, you can in certain circumstances. However, when applying for a student authorization you must be able to prove to the visa officer that you have enough finances to support yourself for the entire length of your study program. International students can work on the University/College campus, whereas off campus work is permitted only after 6 months. Full-time students can work in their institutions without the need for an employment authorization. International students can work up to 20 hours per week during their studies and 40 hours per week during vacation. They can earn approximately C$ 7 - C$ 10 per hour. Students can work full time off campus during co-op terms and can earn approximately C$ 10 - C$ 15 per hour, amounting to C$ 400 to C$ 1,000 per month. You are allowed to work in Canada for 1 to 3 years after completing your academic programme depending on the length of the program.

    Q. How much value would a Diploma hold?

    Colleges offer a wide variety of Career-oriented programs like Advance Diplomas/ Diplomas/ Certificates. These programs are specially designed to give students the opportunity to learn and develop many marketable skills in their preferred career. It emphasizes on the technical aspects providing hands-on experience and fundamentals of the program. These programs give the students a practical background that employers demand and help them get jobs easily. It may often happen that students who have completed a vocational program may get better jobs/salaries than those who have studied in a University Degree Program.

    Q. Do I need Health Insurance?

    Yes. Health Insurance is mandatory. You will have to arrange for medical coverage before you arrive in Canada. Medical coverage varies from province to province, and sometimes from university to university within each province. Most of the Institutes have health insurance included in their tuition fees. You may also take health insurance from India.

    Q. Is my spouse/dependent allowed to work in Canada?

    If your spouse or any dependent wants to work while in Canada, they must apply for their own work permit. Your Spouse Permit will be valid for the same period that you are authorized to study in Canada.

    Q. Can I work after Graduation?

    Students may work up to one year if they have completed a one-year program and up to 3 years if they have completed 2 years or more programs.

    Q. How do I obtain an extension of my student authorization?

    If you wish to extend your student authorization, you can do so within Canada. Contact the nearest Canadian Immigration Centre at least 2 months before the expiry of your authorization.

    Q. How do I renew my study permit while I am in Canada?

    If you want to renew your study permit, you must apply before the permit expires. If your study permit has expired, you must leave Canada. In some cases, you may be able to apply for restoration of status. However, you are not allowed to study until your status has been restored.

    Q. Am I allowed to return home for a visit or travel outside Canada during my studies?

    If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have:

    • A valid passport or travel documents
    • A valid study permit, if you are returning to study in Canada and
    • A valid temporary resident visa if you are a citizen of a designated country for which Canada requires a visa.

    If you are a citizen of a designated country and you travel to a country other than the United States, Greenland or Saint-Pierre et Miquelon, you will need a multiple-entry visa to re-enter Canada. If your temporary resident visa has expired or if your visa was only valid for a single entry, you must re-apply for a temporary resident visa at a Canadian visa office outside Canada before you can re-enter Canada.