Study in USA

The United States of America is located on the continent of North America. There are 50 states in the U.S. Forty-eight of the state’s form the contiguous United States. The U.S. borders on Canada to the north, and Mexico and the Gulf of Mexico to the south. On the east coast, the U.S. is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean, and on the west coast it is bordered by the Pacific Ocean.

To the northwest of Canada is the state of Alaska. The state of Hawaii is located in the Pacific Ocean, southwest of California. In addition to the 50 states, the U.S. has several territories and possessions, located in the Caribbean Sea and the Pacific Ocean. The US has more than 3000 colleges and university institutions where nearly 6 million International students study in different courses for various programs.

Because the US attracts talent, and the best brains from all over the world, people with a hunger to learn, enjoy the US as a study destination. Because there are no cultural boundaries, people are also fortunate enough to learn about different cultures of the world, as they find communities from different sections of the society within the campus.



    Full Name: United States of America

    Population: 318.9 million (2014)

    Capital: Washington, D.C.

    Largest city: New

    Area: 9.857 million km²

    Major language:

    Major religion:

    Life expectancy: 76 years (men), 81 years (women)

    Monetary unit: 1 US dollar = 100 cents

    Main exports: Machinery and particularly aircrafts are a major export of the United States.

    GNI per capita: us$53,750

    Internet domain: .us

    International dialing code: +1

    Other Cities: Chicago, Las Vegas, Seattle, San Francisco, San Diego, Miami Beach, Branson

    Climate: Weather varies widely across the continental USA, as well as in Alaska and Hawaii. In general terms, summers are hot and humid in the plains and southern states, while the southwest is very hot and quite dry.



    The education system in United States is quite different from the one offered in our country. There is no federal or central education system in USA. Degree-granting institutions in the United States can be called as universities, colleges, schools or institutes. As a general rule, colleges tend to be smaller and usually offer only undergraduate degrees, while a university offers undergraduate and graduate degrees.

    The educational institutions in USA can be state funded of privately funded. State universities: are founded and subsidized by U.S. state governments (for example, California, Michigan, or Texas) to provide low-cost education to residents of that state. State universities tend to be very large, with enrollments of 20,000 or more students, and generally admit a wider range of students than private universities.

    Tuition fees tend to be higher at private universities than at state universities, but there is no distinction made between state and non-state residents and the number of enrollments tends to be lower than those in state universities. The bachelor’s degree typically takes four years to complete.

    The associate degree usually takes two years to complete. One of the most attractive features of the bachelor’s degree program in the United States is that it is highly flexible. You can usually choose from a wide variety of courses and create your own unique program of study.




    • Cinema Makeup School
    • ILSC Education Group
    • Study Group (Embassy CES)
    • Study Group (Private High Schools in USA)


    • Bridge English Language Center Florida
    • Everest University
    • Florida Air Academy Inc.
    • Study Group (Embassy CES)


    • Study Group (International Study Centres/Universities in the USA)


    • English as a Second Language International (ESLI)


    • Campbellsville University
    • English as a Second Language International (ESLI) Louisiana
    • English as a Second Language International (ESLI) Massachusetts
    • Study Group (Embassy CES)


    • Study Group (International Study Centres/Universities in the USA)


    • Study Group (International Study Centres/Universities in the USA) New Jersey
    • Berkeley College

    New York

    • Berkeley College
    • Manhattan Institute of Management
    • New York Language Center
    • Study Group (Embassy CES)
    • Study Group (International Study Centres/Universities in the USA)
    • Long Island University, Post Campus


    • English as a Second Language International (ESLI)
    • Eastern University
    • Kutztown University
    • Study Group (International Study Centres/Universities in the USA)
    • Widener University


    • English as a Second Language International (ESLI)
    • Texas A&M University Texarkana


    • Study Group (International Study Centres/Universities in the USA)
    • James Madison University


    • Study Group (International Study Centres/Universities in the USA)
    • University of Vermont


    • Cascadia Community College
    • Green River Community College




    US universities have4 intakes

    • Spring: January/February
    • Fall: August/September
    • Summer: April/May
    • Winter: December

    Major intake is the fall intake, but most of the universities are open for spring and few of them for summer & winter intake too. However, all subjects commence in fall and only some in winter and summer intake.

    Eligibility Criteria

    • Undergraduate: 10+2
    • Graduate:16 years of education required (10+2+4)
    • Some institutions accept 15 years’ education into their Bridge /Masters Programs
    • Certificates of achievement & extra -curricular activity participation
    • Strong financial background or good grades to get a scholarship Below are guidelines for different exam and score requirement:
    • Undergraduate - 6.0 IELTS / 79 TOEFL IBT and SAT above 1200
    • Post Graduate – 6.0 to 6.5 in IELTS/ 90 TOEFL IBT/ GRE 290 to 300 or GMAT 450 to 500
    • For special admissions like DDS, MD Medicine, Pharmacy and Law have set examination to be given

    NOTE: The coaching for the IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE can be availed from AAI also.

    Documents Required

    • Resume
    • Statement of purpose
    • Educational Documents
    • Work Experience, if Applicable
    • Passport 
    • birth certificate 
    • IELTS score sheet 
    • Two academic references 
    • Two references from employers (where applicable) 
    • Passport sized photographs
    • Draft for application fees, if applicable 
    • Other Certificates & Achievements of Extracurricular Activities 
    • Financial Documents





    UG   10000 - 15000 US $

    PG 12000 - 20000 US $




    UG 10000 - 20000 US $

    PG 15000 - 25000 US $

    Living Expenses

    When calculating the cost of education living expenses play a critical role. On an average, a student spends Approx. $10000 - 12000/year. But the expenses also depend on the place where a student stays i.e. if a student stays in metropolitan city like New York, San Francisco, Manhattan, etc. the expenses could go up to $15000 in comparison to a student studying in a suburban area where the expenses around $8000 to $10000 / year.




    USA is one of the strongest economies of the world. The vast majority of Americans derive most part of their income from occupational earnings. In the United States, the highest earning occupational groups are the white collar professionals including management, physicians, mathematicians, financial managers, software publishers, computer engineers, hospitality, etc.

    USA has also been on the forefront in the telecoms, medicine, health care, and genetics.


    International students can take up on campus jobs they are allowed to work 20 hrs. per week during semester (on campus).

    On campus jobs may include teaching assistantship or research assistantship where a student is paid on an average $8 to $10 per hour thus student earns approximately $ 500-$ 1000 per month or can get a waiver in tuition fees. With this, a student can also do internship in the related field which may be paid.

    During vacation the student is allowed to work for 40 hrs. per week. On completion of the course, student is allowed to work for 1year popularly known as OPT (optional practical training). Students with certain degrees are allowed to work for 29 months. On completion of their OPT; the student can later apply for work on a H1 B visa (work permit visa).



    Most international students in the United States hold an F-1 visa, which is the U.S. non-immigrant student visa. F-1 students are allowed to work in the United States, but only under certain conditions and in accordance with complex guidelines and restrictions issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

  • FAQ


    Q. What is the transfer student concept?

    A transfer option is to complete at least 2 years of the Bachelors / Diploma program in any country and then apply for a transfer to the University that a student wants to attend in USA. The years waived off in your transfer status will depend on the courses covered in India and the grades for the same. It is rare that one can get exact transfer of credits.

    Q. Should I apply only to Top Ten Universities?

    A. The acceptance ratio of top ten Universities is only 1% - 4%. Therefore, in order to improve your chances of admission, you should also apply to other Universities that offer good programs. Also the entry requirements are extremely stringent for such institutions. One must always remember that Ranking can be worldwide, region based and even subject based. If one is looking for a ranked university, search should be subject based.

    Q. I have completed 15 years of education in India. Can I get admission for MBA directly in USA?

    A. Most American Universities require 16 years of education for admission into an MBA or any other Graduate program. It is therefore advisable to complete M. Com / M.A/ M.Sc. or at least one year of any Master’s Degree before taking admission in an American University. Some top ranked Universities can take you with 15 yrs. of education with 2-3 years of relevant work experience. However, there a list of those institutions that would enroll students after 15 years of education directly.

    Q. Can I get Financial assistance?

    A. Yes definitely, but getting financial assistance in the first semester is extremely competitive and you need to have an extremely good academic and test score to be qualified. There are number of good cases where we have helped students secure full financial assistance. If you have an outstanding academic background and test scores, AAI Counselors will try their best to get you financial aid.

    Q. What about shifting school once I get there?

    Once you are in the US, you are governed by the USCIS rule. According to this rule, you cannot change the school before completing one semester at the school. It is advisable that you make your choice carefully to avoid problems at a later date.

    Q. Is only TOEFL applicable for USA, can a student also take IELTS?

    . Yes, a student can take IELTS instead of TOEFL. As 2500 universities have started accepting IELTS. These universities being the top ones.

    Q. What is the ideal time to start applying to Universities, and what are the different start dates?

    Generally, the students need to apply for USA one year in advance. This specifically would be an advantage to those students looking out for scholarships. Most commonly available start dates are in the Fall Session (August / September) and the spring session (January / February).

    Q. Can I work while studying?

    Students are allowed to work 20 hours a week on-campus during the term and full-time during the vacation period.

    Q. Are Scholarships available?

    International students are provided with scholarships by the universities to support their education expenses. This range from a few hundred dollars to full scholarships. Private scholarships are also available. They are the educational gifts given by various organizations or individuals, predominantly for academic merit.

    Q. What are the housing options available in US?

    Accommodation is very important as it is significant for your successful studies in USA. In USA you are provided with two options- campus and off campus housing. Universities provide dormitories with necessary facilities. Or else you can easily a rent house off campus.